Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Hurray for the Greens!


The first sign of spring is the arrival of ramps. And asparagus closely following. This year in the Union Square Greenmarket, they are both out at the same time! It's the "double your pleasure" literally.

You cannot go wrong with these beautiful vegetables. I have been, so far, pan sautèing them together in olive oil with just salt and pepper, until almost crispy. In the same pan I also cook chicken or fish, so that all the flavors mingle. After plating them, I deglaze the pan quickly with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle fresh thyme and sauce over them. A quick, simple, easy and oh so delicious meal I am enjoying almost every evening.

When I find the bigger bulb of the ramp, I make pickles. There's no such a thing as 'too much ramps' in my life.

Ku Cake

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yum! sadly these are hard to find in tx. the season may be over already.