Monday, February 16, 2009

Little Organic Herb Garden


I always move some of the herbs indoors with the first sign of frost. This winter, oregano, thyme, chive and basil plants are waiting for the arrival of spring; I'm sure they can't wait to go outside...NOT!

They have it really good - the room is warm and full of sunshine (albeit via window glass). But the best part is the daily dose of nutritious water, thanks to my goldfish. Instead of relying on the Miracle-Glo, I started taking advantage of the 'fish water'.

I read it somewhere, I think it was an article on NY Times Magazine, that the fish poopoo is an excellent source of nutrients for the plants. I have been adding used coffee grinds to the pots for some time, and this year I wanted to see if fish water makes a difference. Every morning I scoop up the water from fish tank and pour it over the herbs.

I think they are really happy. I'm happy too, because I don't have to schlep the bucketfull of dirty water up and down. Plus, less chemical they absorb the better. So it's defiitely a win-win situation.

Ku Cake

No comments: