Sunday, February 8, 2009

Saving for the Snowy Days


Over the years I became a big fan of frozen food. I'm talking about freezing fruits and vegetables when they're in height of season, and enjoying them when the farmer's market is barren.

What's typically in my freezer? Blueberries (whole and cooked), rhubarb (cooked), green peas, corn, haricots verts, broccoli rabe (blanched), red pepper (roasted), asparagus (roasted), tomato (roasted), zucchini slices (roasted), garlic (roasted), basil (pesto). Sometimes broccoli and cauliflower florettes join the list whenever there's extra space. Another staple of the freezer are containers of homemade chicken broth. They are so handy and versatile, not to mention laughingly easy to make; I haven't bought a broth from the store in many years.

Even though the day is short and weather is cold, I always have something to remind me that there will be spring, the season of colors will return soon.

Ku Cake

No comments: